Sunday, February 19, 2012

Heartbreaker Half - new PR, and a redemptive run.


I did it! I did it!! Second Half Marathon completed and even though it was a MUCH harder course (about 5 miles uphill and then last 3 miles downhill) I was able to finish strong and improve my time by 17 minutes over the previous race! I was super conservative and kept the pace pretty slow for the first 5-6 miles average between 10:30-11:30 min/miles because I knew that miles 5.5-10 were all uphill. Once we hit Chart House- I was so excited - the last 3 miles were fast and fun. It was a great experience. Michelle (my friend that ran with me) and I were just looking to have a good time and finish - and looked at it more as a training run so that we both could redeem our "bad half marathon memories" with a injury free run. My hip was tight and sore, a few times and I had to stop to walk briefly and stretch, but overall a much better run that when I did Girlfriends last October and my IT Band starting hurting at about mile 4.5. So much of running is mental. I woke up several times last night and honestly, was nervous. Even though it was more for training and I said I wasn't racing this.. which for slow me is kinda funny to say I am "racing." I was nervous. The memories of my IT Band flaring up full force last time were all too present. I am so happy I did this race so that going into Rock and Roll Half in May, I will be bad-memory free and looking to beat 2:22.30! One of my goals this year is to run a 2:15 Half.

I have to thank my sister-in-law for her mantra "It's time to dig deeper" which I have shortened to just "Dig Deeper." It is what I kept saying as we tackled hill after hill...after hill.

I am enjoying a Ninkasi Total Domination IPA right now, since I abstained from alcohol since Tuesday to prepare for today. Yumm... They are one of the sponsors for Ladybug Run (I'm so excited!) Have you signed up yet? Register right now!

I actually feel pretty good. I think I hydrated and fueled up well pre-run and during. Ate a protein bar right after the race and have been drinking lots of water so I am hoping for a quick recovery. A little tight and sore, but the happy outweighs it all. Love the sense of accomplishment you feel after running 13.1.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Liz! So proud of you. Time to update your running stats on the side bar now... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Liz. Great mantra too :)
    Looking forward to seeing you at the RnR half where- no doubt- you will have another PR!

    ReplyDelete