(Recent run along Fanno Creek trail)
18 days, 7 training runs, until Half Marathon #3.
My goals going into this race?
1. New PR - so anything better than 2:22.30.
2. My personal goal 2:15.00 (McMillan seems to think I could do a 2:07, but I am not so sure...)
So as the race is getting closer, I started reflecting on things I am learning....
1. Don't try something new too close to the race... Yes- trying Spin for the first time less than 2 weeks out from your first half marathon is a bad idea. I won't be doing that again.
2. Don't taper too much....I think my body doesn't like to taper. I have realized I don't need to cut back that much before a half.. this may not hold true before a full marathon- but I am not running at a level that requires it, plus my body actually seems to revolt and hurt when I cut it back too much.
3. Ice baths and compression socks are my friends. I have been doing these post long run and I think they are helping my recovery.
(Yes, those are my pasty white legs in the COLD, COLD water...)
5. I love Nuun. I might have a problem.
6. Don't slack on doing strength training. I need to be doing quad, hamstring, calf, glut exercises at least 3x a week to balance out my crazy hyper flexibility. I started doing a Yoga for Runners DVD I like, as well as fitting in my Jillian 30 day Shred since I like the quick total body work out it provides.
7. Right now the 3x week running seems to be working for me. My knee has been feeling strong - and I have been able to extend out my 'walk breaks.' After RnR, I may add a short run on one day so my body can get used to 'doubles', but nothing crazy.
and since I am running out of things - some random thoughts...
8. I really need to add some speed work - but I am afraid of injuring myself.. would love some tips.
9. Went to a Love and Logic parenting seminar last weekend and got some GREAT tips that really seem to be working with my preschooler. Feeling more on the road to being the parent I want to be..
10. Just feeling so blessed and thankful for my children, my husband, my job that allows me to work from home, my friends, everything coming together for the Ladybug Run. So much to be grateful for. Including each day I am able to run without pain. Each day truly is a gift.. tomorrow is guaranteed to no one.
Live and LOVE today fully.