Monday, September 17, 2012

10 Running Related Things about me....


SBS at Another Mother Runner has started a 10-question game and here are my responses...

1. Best run ever:  I really don't have a best run ever. I am not sure if that's because I am a newbie runner, or I can't commit to saying one was better than all the rest. I loved running in San Francisco. I loved running in Hawaii on vacation last month. I had a great run last Wednesday (some interval work at Duniway track and then 2 miles of Terwilliger). I love running in the West hills in Portland on the Wildwood trail. I don't think I can pick out one run as my best run ever..maybe someday when I break that 2 hour half marathon!

2. Three words that describe my running: rewarding, demanding, exhilarating.

3. My go-to running outfit is: lulu tank, handful bra, nike shorts, brooks ghost shoes.

4. Quirky habit while running: I tend to run in a straight line. My feet swing out in front of each other.. I am working to correct this, but it seems to be what my body wants to do.

5. Morning, midday, evening: Morning, usually always morning unless I have to put it off until nap time...

6. I won’t run outside when it’s: Icy. I will run in 10 degree temperatures, in rain, in snow, and even (when absolutely necessary) in the heat. But physics tells me running on ice + my clumsiness = injury.

7. Worst injury—and how I got over it: I've had ITB and a Hamstring strain and I think the hamstring issues were the absolute worst injury ever. The hamstring strain was supposed to be mild-moderate - but it took close to 18 months to even get to 85% and I still struggle with issues with tendinitis at the attachment point. I did PT, Platelet Rich Plasma Injection (yes- I doped!), deep tissue massage, acupuncture, ultrasound, rest, cross training, and then finally quit running, got pregnant, then when I started running again did Couch to 5K and really eased back into it and had frequent Chiro care which really helped. This may not be the most hopeful story to someone who is in the midst of the issues though. But I am now running the highest mileage of my life and I just have to make sure I keep doing my strength exercises and foam rolling!

8. I felt most like a badass mother runner when: I went for a 8 mile run (Springwater corridor for you PDX peeps) with the double stroller (4 year old and 18 month old = 100 pounds + of stroller and kids) in 80+ degree temps. This counts as a 16 mile run, right?

9. Next race is: Cause and Event 10K (http://www.causeandeventportland.com/) and I am super excited to be able to raise money for our nonprofit Ladybug CDH Foundation while doing this run. Our team is called Team Ladybug if you want to join our team.

10. Potential running goal for 2013: More Half Marathons (chasing down that time) maybe even a trail one for fun. I'd also like to do a 15 mile race, and another Relay.

At Race for the Cure 9/16/12 - (notice the BAMR hat!)

No comments:

Post a Comment