Sunday, January 1, 2012

It all begins here...




So I decided to start blogging about my running. I don't know if anyone will be interested in my ramblings about running - but I have to admit I have the bug and am inspired by other running blogs I have been reading and wanted to represent the newbie and slow running contingent.

I tried running a few times in my 20's - but would always get sidelined by some injury since I knew nothing about training wisely, or injury prevention. I loved the idea of being a runner. Just being able to put on a pair of running shoes and go. I envied the physique of those that ran regularly. But that could never be me, I would think to myself.

In my 30's I tried again after my first daughter was born. Again, enter an injury. The IT Band Syndrome. My arch nemesis. I once again hung up my running shoes.

While I was pregnant with my second I had dreams about running. It felt so wonderful to be running and that feeling remained with me after I awoke. After Finley was born, I watched her fight for each breath she took (Finley was born with a birth defect called Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia) and I decided that I would run for her. Before she was even discharged from the hospital I had decided that I would try and organize a race in her honor (The Ladybug Run) and raise awareness for her condition and (hopefully) raise money. Once Finley got home, I googled Couch25k and I began running. First on the treadmill. Then outdoors. Then even when it was raining... My first goal was to run the Resolution Run TwentyEleven 5K, but Finley had other plans and was in the hospital for a second surgery. On January 2, 2011 I ran a 5K in NE Portland by myself.

I had a large group of girlfriends who were going to do the Shamrock Run - so I decided to set my new goal for a 8K. Once that was accomplished I aimed for a 10K. Then I decided I would run a Half Marathon (who was this girl?).

I ended the year having run a 8K, 3 10k's and a Half Marathon.

I am not fast.

But I am a runner. I am proof that someone who thought they "couldn't run" can. You just begin. Small steps with a goal in mind. My goal for 2012? I have a list - but one of them is to run 1012 miles...

What are your goals for 2012?




No comments:

Post a Comment